Friday, January 14, 2011

CRANK. the book.

After looking through several blogs when there weren't as many this afternoon, I saw a blog post by Nawara on her winter break, and decided to read it.  She started to talk about Crank, so I couldn't help, but to respond to it.
I read Crank and Glass, by Ellen Hopkins. These books are very well structured and written. I recommend the Crank series to everyone in the whole world. It is so good-- I cannot stress it enough. I literally could not stop reading it. Although I had to use the bathroom a few times, I just held it in because I wanted to know what was going to happen next. Every page became more tempting to know the next.
Before break, Nawara and I started talking about books after she saw me reading Fallout by Ellen Hopkins.  It is the third book in her series, with Crank and Glass as the first two books.  I showed her a few pages from the book, and told her to read it.  She thought it was kind of strange, but interesting how the book was written.  The book looks big, but it isn't that long, because the books written in somewhat of a poem format.  Whenever anyone looks inside the book, they always ask me if its written in poems, and even though it looks like its a poem, its basically just a story with regular sentences just like any other book, but instead of the sentence being complete and written to completely fill a line up, Ellen Hopkins breaks apart her sentences to create images at times, or some pattern.  It takes a while to get used to, but it's not confusing or anything like that.

The book talks about a girl, Kristina, and what happens to her life after she visits her father and gets a taste of crank with him.  Her life seems better at first, but then it starts to go downhill after she loses her grasp and gets high too much, and she loses control of her life and her body too.  It's really dramatic, and like Nawara says, once you start to read about her life and find it interesting, the book is sooooooo hard to put down.  When I read the book, I would normally read it during times I was busy and had a ton of stuff to do still, but I needed to know what happened to Katrina.  I would continuously tell myself, "One more section, then that's it," but still, I kept on reading, until thirty or fifty pages later, I'd actually put down the book because I had things to finish or I had to go sleep because it was so late (after midnight :).  I highly suggest this book, it is an amazing book, and Ellen Hopkins has become one of my favorite authors.

Psst!!! Nawara! Read Impulse asap. (all you other people too :D) its sooooooo gooood. My favorite book by her so far.

1 comment: