Friday, November 12, 2010

Rubik's Cube

This weekend is a full and busy one.  I hope I will still be able to get some rest and finish all my homework, especially finishing reading Garcia Girls before Tuesday lunch.

Even though this weekend is jam-packed, I cannot resist the call of the lone Rubik's cube, quietly sitting on the table, waiting to be solved.  This one is different from the others though.  Instead of a three-by-three, it's a four-by-four.  Which I don't know how to solve.  I can always try though.  Which is what I hope to be able to do sometime this weekend.

Instructions and directions for how to solve these cubes (all sizes) are nearly impossible to find, or else it takes hours to finally find a good one that is understandable.  Videos are completely helpless.  People who try to explain how to solve the cube make no sense at all to me, and I am plunged into confusedness once again, and begin searching around to find another place with solutions.

Way back from the middle school, or maybe even fifth grade in elementary, I found a Rubik's cube, and I learned how to solve one side and two layers of the cube (without print-out instructions :), but I didn't have the patience to try to learn the rest.

Last year, I found a print-out of instructions for how to solve the three-by-three, and spent hours and days trying to figure it out, and then another million hours practicing it, and attempting to memorize it.  I finally understood it a few weeks later, and I was addicted.  Any free time I had at home, I would spend in my room with my cube.  Twist here, turn here and again here, repeat the process again, look at the colors, double check to make sure that part was completed, think, start next sequence for next part to solve.  That was the way I solved the cube.  Part of my motivation to finally solve the cube was to show others that I could solve it, and another was to prove to some people that I was just as intelligent as they were, because I could solve the cube.

Some people find it so amazing that people can solve a Rubik's cube, but honestly, it isn't that hard.  Just set aside some time, find you're motivation and perseverance, because trust me, when you first start, this isn't a simple problem that you can solve in a few hours.  It takes time and much effort to figure out the instructions and memorize the steps to finally solve the cube.  It took a lot of muscle memorization, and by doing the steps time after time, it sticks.

This weekend, I will try to dedicate as much free time as I am able to find to solve the confusing four-by-four.  So far, I've solved a side, one layer, and I'm working of solving the corners.  I moved the corner cubes to their respectable locations, but I need to twist them, so their colors will match with the right sides.  Off to solve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment