Friday, October 29, 2010

Afterthoughts

Blogging has been so different from anything I’ve ever done in my life.  It’s the first time where I’ve ever posted anything personal and things that I have written (excluding Facebook posts).   By blogging instead of turning in a hard copy of something I write, my writing has become a bit more casual, but at the same time, I have better thoughts and I express myself more when I blog - especially when I write about things that I didn’t think I would write about.

When I first started to blog, I started off with something that I had already written over the summer for homework.  My second piece of writing that I posted onto my blog was a response to a student blog, where I somewhat analyzed and commented on Stan's blog post about being bullied and the ASTI Constitution.  It was simple writing that didn’t take much time or effort to write about.  Afterward, we had a debate at school, and my partner, Tiffany, and I argued against lowering the drinking age in our opening statement.  I decided to make my blog posts about events and things I hear and talk about, and I opened quite some discussion in my post about the possible ASTI size increase.  Like usual, my procrastination made it hard for me to find a blog post by someone I didn’t often talk to, so I chose to respond to my friend’s blog post about teen movies.  I tried experiment with writing something at a park, which was mostly just a string of random thoughts that went through my mind, and then typing it up as a blog post.  That post, Anything and Everything, confused Mr. Sutherland, so in fear of losing points for a bad blog post, I created a fictional post about a miracle involving a chance for love to come once again.  For the response post that week, I responded to a post about vampires, since I used to be addicted to vampires and I found the topic very interesting to respond to.  My first essay was about Italo Calvino’s “The Dinosaurs,” and it analyzes Qfwfq’s character.  One day, I was really put down in class by one of my teachers, so I blogged about it and how I felt as a result of what the teacher said to me.  For that week, I responded to a post about a teacher that I loved, yet hated.  As the next week slowly rolled by, I continued to talk to my friends, and when I was talking to Amber, the subject of blogs came into our conversation, and she told me about how she made a blog post, which was a letter to our Kylie, who was once our closest friend that we would talk to all the time.  I read it, and it really striked me, so I responded to it by writing a letter to Kylie, and talking about how I felt about the lost friendship too.  Other than that, the week was pretty uneventful, so by Friday night, I was thinking up a subject that I could write about for my blog, and so I decided to write about communication.  When we were writing our Night essays in the computer lab, I decided to do some research about concentration camps, and made a short blog about what I found(mostly about Buchenwald).  The most recent post I have made is my Night essay.

I surprised myself this quarter, because I didn’t expect to like blogging, especially since it meant that I would post the things I write onto the world wide web, where anyone could read it.  It felt a bit awkward knowing my classmates could read and judge the way I write and what I write about, but at the same time, it was comforting knowing that I could see theirs too, just like they could see mine, and they could also give me constructive criticism to help me grow in my writing skills.  When I blog, my writing is more casual than it is if I turn in an essay to Corbally, where my writing is very formal and very structured, with an organized system.  In my blog posts, when I want to emphasize a point, I make the sentences short, for example, in my letter to Kylie, I wrote, “In some sense, I'm mad.  But still, I'm sad.  For me though, I cannot bring myself to tears over this loss friend.  It's not worth it for me.”  I was trying to emphasize my point that I was mad, yet sad, and couldn’t cry over this loss.  If I had written this and it was not posted onto my blog, the sentences would definitely be less choppy, and would flow better.  Also, when I write on my blog, I use a lot of contractions, which makes my writing a lot more casual, because in my final draft of essays for other classes, I cut out all the contractions that I want to use.

Now, when I think about having to write, it isn’t as painful as I once considered it to be.  If it is an interesting topic, quickwrites are very helpful and productive for me, because I can practice writing without stopping for ten minutes, and I am able to write down ideas that I have about the topic that I can use for a blog post, or even an essay on that topic.  

This quarter, I have surprised myself the most by writing fiction and posting it on my blog.  I often blog about events that have happened recently in my life, or I have heard being discussed, but until the blog post, A Miracle, I had never posted a work of fiction onto my blog.  When I wrote it, it felt like poetry.  I never read over what I wrote; I wrote as my mind churned to find the right words to use, and the worlds just flowed out like poetry.  It also really helped that romance, young love, and hope was my inspiration when I wrote it.  In the piece, the narrator reflects that, “We [narrator and lover] would talk about our fears, our hopes, our dreams.  It felt like when we were together, the stars were aligned, and all the wrong in the world became right.  Things seemed perfect; all those problems disappeared, stress relieved.”  When I wrote this, I thought about how I think and feel when I am most at peace, and what my closest friends and I talk about.  I really expressed my deeper feelings and emotions in this piece, with more of my soul in this piece and any of the other blog posts that I wrote.  I did write this somewhat because of the recent events in my life that made me really think about and analyze love and lust a lot more and much more harshly in my mind, than I ever have done.  By writing this post, it opened my eyes to how I felt, and how I really viewed the subject is like (I don’t want to point out the subject.  It is more than just one thing.  If you really want to see what subjects were in the post, go read it and think about it yourself.  It’s left for you to interpret your own way.  even I don’t understand myself sometimes).  

For the next quarter, I want to explore writing some fictional pieces, but expanding the subject to much farther than just love and lust, because I had wanted to become a writer of fiction at some point in my life, and I want to practice writing fictional, as a hobby, and to exercise my mind to think about some things that I otherwise wouldn’t.  I want to make a post about rhetorical questions, and my opinion and thoughts about it, because they are a curious thing, and are interesting to me.  They also confuse me, so I want to get down to the core of it, and to understand them better.  One of my major goals that I have that does not have anything to do about what subject I want to write about or my writing style is to avoid procrastinating the assignment.  When I post my blog post right before midnight, my writing isn’t the best it can be, and I can be a lot more analytical and creative when writing than I am now, since I procrastinated most of the blog post assignments from this quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment